Thursday, September 01, 2005

cocktail parties and all that jazz

The partying has begun in earnest. Tuesday was Blues night at Kingston Mines, one of Chicago's
most famous blues bar. (Turn on the volume on your computer, for some good streaming blues if you visit their website.) A HUGE bunch of GSBers showed up (75, in my estimation.) It was a fun group. We got there really early, so we had a chance to talk to everyone as they trickled in. The music (Dion Payton) started up around 9:30, and then moved into the front room at some point, with another band and some Blues dance going on too.

If you don't like the blues
You got a hole in your soul!

Wednesday saw us at Green Mill in Lakeview (or even north of Lakeview, I think.) Premier Jazz club. It was a much smaller place, but fortunately, fewer GSBers showed up. Again, good music. The first band was a Hungarian Gypsy band, the second was a quartet. They were playing some loud be-bop. I talked to the pianist who turned out to be in an Indian guy called Vijay. There were also a whole lot of people who'd come in from the Jazz Bus. They were getting a little pissed off because the GSBers were talking really loudly. Then someone got thrown out of the club. It was pretty exciting. He also got bloodied up a little bit, and when we left around mid-night, there was still someblood on the footpath.

Today is the Thursday Night Drinking Club, fondly called TNDC, dry-run. (0f course, there'll be nothing dry about it! ;) It's at a bar in downtown called Kerryman. Haven't been there yet, and looks like a whole bunch of people are going (including some people from my accounting class) so I might go, though I'm already a littleparty-weary. Okay, I didn't say that.

Tomorrow sees the beginning of the double-bookings. There's a party happenning at the Summit Club at Regents, it's also Saurabh's birthday, Preety wanted to do an Indians-at-GSB dinner in the city -- but this morning I get an email from my Cohort leaders about getting together atRock Bottom, so obviously that's where I'm going.

We have grand plans for the weekend. Beach, bike, booze, I think!

Oh, I should say something about classwork, I suppose. Accounting has come to an end. We covered in 4 days, half of the basic Accounting course (through to the mid-term.) It's been quite tough. I'm glad I took the course. It'll make the first quarter that much easier. There has been plenty of talk about what classes to take, and how many classes to take etc. I really haven't done much homework myself, but I'm definitely taking only 3 classes the first quarter. I have to
figure out pre-requisities etc., and pretty much the entire 2-year schedule of classes, factoring-in faculty-evaluations, and of course, concentrations etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home